6.11.2012 г.

Migrating from one google account to another

Some years ago, when Google's e-mail service was not available for everyone, but for those, who had an invitation to join, I was stuck with an Yahoo e-mail account. No, I don't like Yahoo, and no I don't know what the hell made me have an account by Yahoo. The most shaming fact is however, that I still use my two Yahoo accounts for registering to forums, sites etc. that I suppose will spam me.
Last words about Yahoo, because they don't deserve more attention: First of all, it's 2012 and they still have their POP3/IMAP payed. And second of all...they still make you pay them to get your e-mails!!!

Back to the main topic. Because Google allows non-google e-mail addresses for acquiring a google account, I had my first google account tied to an Yahoo e-mail address. So, how can one migrate things to another Google account, before deleting the old one.

First I wanted to have my RSS subscriptions from google reader transferred to the other account. It turns out, that this is very very easy. Settings button (upper right corner)->Reader settings->Import/Export tab. It works like a charm.

What about Google Drive (known as Google Docs before)? To be honest I didn't need to transfer anything but I see that one has the option to download the whole "drive". That should do the trick :)

Next is Google Calendar. As one could suppose, there is an Import/Export option. Right from "My calendars" there is a small dropdown menu. Just select "Settings" and you'll see the Import calendar and Export calendars options.

If you've made the mistake to run a blog from the old account, then you have a slight problem. Long story made short, yes, you can keep your blog with all the posts/comments etc. after deleting the old account, BUT the posts will still appear as written from your old account. If that is no problem, then ok. For me such a thing will be a problem, because it would annoy me. I just like everything to be perfect. Here is the article, where all the steps for the blog transfer are good explained. Click

After dealing with all this, it is a huge pleasure to get rid of the old account. Especially, when it's associated with an Yahoo e-mail.

Despite being straightforward, here is a video I found on YouTube, explaining how to change the e-mail address, associated with your Windows Live Id.
 

Well, that was all. I doubt it, but I hope that that was helpful for someone.

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар