13.02.2010 г.

Blend 2 and Blend 3

Before starting this post I promise myself to make it short. If you take a look at my last 2 ones you will understand why. So Blend. What can I say? Not much of course. Blend is a designer tool and I pretend to be a developer. However for some reasons I had to use it, because I had no other option. VS2008 has no designer for silverlight. And I think it is a very good product. You can make animations (storyboards in terms of xaml), to move things around, to edit properties and I'm sure many many other things.
Let me first write something about Blend 2. It is not so good. It supports only silverlight 1.1 projects. To open and edit SL 2.0 projects you need to install Blend 2 sp1. But that brings you just the ability to edit SL 2.0 projects. The same problems Blend 2 has are still present in sp1. It can't show inherited forms. Also you can't select a control by clicking it in the designer. Instead you need to find it in the control tree and then select it. And I'm sure Blend 2 has some other bugs too.

Blend 3 is something different. Again I can give a good review because I use maybe less than 10% of its features, but I think it is much better than Blend 2. The problems mentioned above are solved here. Also Blend 3 is in my opinion faster. It loads the projects faster and also working with it is easier.

However both versions of Blend share a huge disadvantage. They can't work with Visual SourceSafe. So the designer we have at the office needs to install Visual Studio just to check out the files she needs to edit. And then to check them in.
That is not right. Microsoft should do something about this.

And to keep the promise I gave myself I stop here.

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар